Former T&T and Manchester United footballer Dwight Yorke yesterday denied he entered into any contract with Chutney Monarch Neval Chatelal to loan him money to pay off a debt following his Island Vibe fete last year. In fact, Yorke dismissed the story, adding he is also not broke.
"As far as I'm concerned that matter is closed, so there's no issue on what was reported in the media... There is no fact to it, there's no contractual agreement that's for sure. I have never signed a form or paper or anything," Yorke said during a tour of the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet.
Market vendor Narine Ragoonanan who sexually assaulted a mentally challenged nine-year-old girl, then raped and impregnated her at age 15 will spend the next 23 years and seven months in jail.
Ragoonanan, 53, also called Ragoonanan Narine, was found guilty of two counts of grievous sexual assault and three months later he pleaded guilty to raping her.
In passing sentence in the San Fernando Second Assizes, Justice Hayden St Clair Douglas commented on the girl’s developmental and learning challenges.
Minister of Energy and Energy Industries, Franklin Khan says the Government is taking both civil and criminal legal action against the owners of a vessel responsible for an oil spill in Chaguaramas in October last year.
The spill cost the State $2 million in clean-up operations.
Minister Khan told the Senate that on Sunday 15th October, 2017, the ministry received a report of the spill near the Carera Island in Chaguaramas.
A La Horquetta man has been charged with manslaughter, in relation to the death of his 8-year-old son, Ishmeel Phillips, which occurred on Friday 9th February, 2018.
Bert Phillips, 42, of 439 Rydale Avenue, Greenvale, La Horquetta, a paraplegic, appeared before an Arima Magistrate.
Eight-year-old Ishmeel, of the same address, was beaten with a piece of PVC pipe by a male relative after being accused of stealing a quantity of cash on Friday 9th February, 2018 at his home.
He was taken to hospital where he died.
Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke was served legal documents before his Seas the Moment fete in Tobago on Saturday, as current Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal has sued him in an effort to recover $250,000 which was lent to Yorke last year.
Chatelal has been pleading unsuccessfully since May last year with Yorke to pay him back the $250,000, according to documents filed in the San Fernando High Court on Thursday.
The Housing Minister has sent a warning to a radio station to be careful about what its announcers say about him during one of its programmes.
Through Attorney Michael Quamina, Minister Randall Mitchell cautioned the 'Ground Report' programme on More 104.7 FM, to not make any defamatory statements during their discussion.
The letter which was sent to the station's manager says that the minister was made aware that the hosts of the programme intended to make him the subject matter of a particular topic.
The content of the discussion alarmed the minister.
Interventional cardiologist Dr Conrad Murray seems heading for a legal battle with the Medical Board of T&T (MBTT) over the continuation of his membership in order to practise here.
Murray had queried from the MBTT whether his membership was valid since May last year, as he is desirous of practising here.
But yesterday, Murray told the Sunday Guardian, “Neither my attorneys nor myself ever received a response from the Medical Board to date.”
Clint Rivers, one of the five people released by police on Thursday after being held for six days in connection with a terror threat on Carnival 2018, will be pursuing legal action.
This was disclosed yesterday by his attorney Wayne Sturge at the San Fernando High Court, where the habeas corpus writ was declared spent as Rivers was released. Justice Ricky Rahim, however, ordered that the state pay legal costs.
Government is bracing for a barrage of lawsuits by those who were detained in relation to an alleged terrorist plot targeting recently concluded 2018 Carnival celebrations, Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi admitted yesterday.
He made the comment as he reporters that several of the persons who were recently released between Wednesday and yesterday without being charged by the police had signalled their intention to sue the State.
Despite this Al-Rawi defended the actions on the police in the ongoing exercises.
A Mt. Pleasant man, who deprived a 69-year-old woman of six tins of Vienna sausages, two tins corned beef and two packs of salt biscuit among other items, was granted $75,000 bail, when he appeared before a Scarborough Magistrate, charged with housebreaking and larceny.
Kerwin Romeo, 62, of Roach Trace, Mt. Pleasant, appeared before Magistrate Annette McKenzie, in the Scarborough Magistrates’ 1st Court, on Wednesday 14th February, 2018, to answer to the charge.
The matter was postponed to Wednesday 14th March, 2018.