News

Housing Minister warns radio station to watch what they say about him

The Housing Minister has sent a warning to a radio station to be careful about what its announcers say about him during one of its programmes.

Through Attorney Michael Quamina, Minister Randall Mitchell cautioned the 'Ground Report' programme on More 104.7 FM, to not make any defamatory statements during their discussion.

The letter which was sent to the station's manager says that the minister was made aware that the hosts of the programme intended to make him the subject matter of a particular topic.

The content of the discussion alarmed the minister.

Police maintain presence in East Port-of-Spain following fiery protests

The Police Service is assuring members of the public that they are maintaining a presence in East Port-of-Spain following a disturbance caused by residents.

This morning residents blocked streets and debris following some police shooting in the area.

Residents blocked Observatory, Oxford Piccadilly and Bath streets.

Police property found during raids

A police jacket, bulletproof vest and three guns were among several illegal items seized by Southern Division police over the past few days.

A three-year-old boy and his seven-year-old cousin were also left in the care of their landlord in Princes Town on Thursday evening, after their parents were caught in possession of narcotics and guns.

During the operations coordinated by Snr Supt Mohammed, ASP Ramdeen and Insp Gajadhar, Princes Town CID officers executed a search warrant at an apartment in Lothian Gardens shortly after 5 pm.

Children get free surgeries

For over 60 years, the Princess Elizabeth Centre in Woodbrook has served as a home for physically handicapped children.

The compound contains a modern operating theatre, dormitories, outpatient clinic, orthopaedic workshop and expansive grounds that can be used for sports and family days. The centre also offers primary schooling, occupational therapy and speech therapy.

Children with spinal and other physical disabilities from T&T and other Caribbean countries are also taken to the centre for corrective surgery.

500 workers could be cut

More than 500 workers from Tobago’s Unemployment Relief Programme (URP) are facing the possibility of losing their jobs over the upcoming weeks because of financial difficulties facing the programme.

Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Assistant Secretary of the Division of Infrastructure, Quarries and the Environment, Sheldon Cunningham, said yesterday that a press conference will be held on Tuesday to disclose exactly what is the way forward for the programme.

In Tobago, the URP falls under the purview of the DIQE.

Jackson’s ex-doctor fights for T&T license

Interventional cardiologist Dr Conrad Murray seems heading for a legal battle with the Medical Board of T&T (MBTT) over the continuation of his membership in order to practise here.

Murray had queried from the MBTT whether his membership was valid since May last year, as he is desirous of practising here.

But yesterday, Murray told the Sunday Guardian, “Neither my attorneys nor myself ever received a response from the Medical Board to date.”

Cops keep freed Carnival plot detainees’ property

Out of the 15 people detained in connection with the alleged plot to disrupt the 2018 Carnival festivities, the majority were released mainly due to writs of habeas corpus filed.

But a senior police official said yesterday the case was from from complete or closed.

“Being released due to such a writ doesn’t mean you’re home free,” a senior police official noted.

Officials - as well as attorneys for some detainees - confirmed that laptops, phones and other items were seized by police and kept.

Hunt for ISIS network head

Networks of the ISIS cell in T&T which Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley referred to in Parliament are spread from Aranjuez, Charlieville and Enterprise to Rio Claro among other locations, a national security official has said.

They spoke on Friday night when asked by T&T Guardian to elaborate on Rowley’s earlier confirmation that there is an ISIS cell in T&T.

Rowley made the comment in response to questions from United National Congress MP Bhoe Tewarie about whether there was anything that could be considered an ISIS cell or satellite locally.

Plot suspect to sue state

Clint Rivers, one of the five people released by police on Thursday after being held for six days in connection with a terror threat on Carnival 2018, will be pursuing legal action.

This was disclosed yesterday by his attorney Wayne Sturge at the San Fernando High Court, where the habeas corpus writ was declared spent as Rivers was released. Justice Ricky Rahim, however, ordered that the state pay legal costs.

Pages