News

MY EYE: Sunrise in Princes Town

This photo was sent to us by Sastri Harry via the My Eye feature in the new CNC3 App.

It's a photo of the sunrise this morning in Princes Town.

While we've shown you the fiery protest on the other end of the country, we believe this is just as important to bring you.

We thank Sastri for the inspirational photo and encourage you too to share your videos and photos with us via the My Eye feature in the news CNC3 App.

Download our new app! www.cnc3.co.tt/app

 

Police: East Port-of-Spain brought back under complete control

Police say they have quelled the disturbances in East Port-of-Spain this morning.

A statement issued by the Police Service today states that police and army personnel went into action from 6 am today, in East Port-of-Spain, to quell disturbances among residents and remove debris that had been strewn across several streets, following a police-involved shooting incident at around 3:45 am on Monday 19th February, 2018.

Deputy DPP orders inquest into stabbing death of 17-year-old

Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, Joan Honore-Paul, has ordered an inquest into the stabbing death of 17-year-old Reshard Singh, which occurred on Monday 12th February, 2018, in the Chaguanas district.

A 29-year-old man of Carsen Field, who had been detained in relation to the killing, has been released pending the outcome of the inquest. Singh, of Brad Street, Ramsaran Park, Chaguanas, was walking along the Southern Main Road, Chaguanas, in the vicinity of Factory Road, when he got into an altercation with a group of men.

Machel supports separate Carnival for Tobago

Road March winner Machel Montano has thrown his support behind the initiative for Tobago to have its own Carnival.

Since 2011, there have been calls for Tobago to have its own Carnival instead of having celebrations the same time as Trinidad.

Montano gave his take on the issue during his performance at the Call to Paradise premium all-inclusive event at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort on Saturday.

Montano urged those in authority to be brave and grasp the opportunity for Trinidad and Tobago to have separate Carnivals on each island.

Ban use of paint during J’Ouvert

Woodbrook residents have put forward four proposals to their Member of Parliament in a bid to stop masqueraders and J’Ouvert revellers from defacing their properties annually during Carnival celebrations.

Chairman of the Woodbrook Residents Committee Lynette Dolly in a recent meeting with Port-of-Spain South MP Marlene Mc Donald suggested that unregistered J’Ouvert bands be shifted from Woodbrook to Port-of-Spain for Carnival 2019.

PCA: Police Professional Standards Bureau to investigate 'police' voice note on Howard Chin Lee's wife

The Police Complaints Authority (PCA) says it is aware of reports of an alleged voice note being circulated via social media, allegedly emanating from an Officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS).

The PCA has been informed that the Professional Standards Bureau (PSB) has been charged with the responsibility of investigating this matter which also falls within the remit of the PCA.

UNC MPs slam AG’s denial of local ISIS cell

Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi has come in for flack for trying to deny media reports of Prime Minister Keith Rowley’s admission of an ISIS terror cell operating in T&T.

In Parliament last Friday, according to verbatim notes, UNC MP Bhoe Tewarie had asked Rowley, “Is there anything in Trinidad and Tobago that can be considered an ISIS cell or an ISIS satellite?”

Protests force closure of four health centres

Four health centres have been closed as a result of protest action in Port-of-Spain this morning.

The North West Regional Health Authority (NWRHA) has advised that public that due to current security concerns the following Health Centres will be closed today:

* Upper Laventille

* Success Laventille

* Oxford Street and

* George Street.

The NWRHA says that all persons with clinic appointments for this date will be rescheduled and members of the public can continue to access care, at any other Health Centre under the purview of the NWRHA.

Neval sues Yorke for $250,000

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke was served legal documents before his Seas the Moment fete in Tobago on Saturday, as current Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal has sued him in an effort to recover $250,000 which was lent to Yorke last year.

Chatelal has been pleading unsuccessfully since May last year with Yorke to pay him back the $250,000, according to documents filed in the San Fernando High Court on Thursday.

Pages